The Handy Person Service (HP+) provides a maintenance and repair service for older vulnerable and other vulnerable people living in the city in their own privately owned/rented accommodation. The service is generally available free of charge to people in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits but also provides the service at very low cost to those not receiving these benefits. The aim of HP+ is to enable older people to stay living independently in their own homes by offering an easy to access service that responds quickly to day to day property maintenance issues, therefore reducing the stress and anxiety that these issues can often cause. HP+ also works in close partnership with other services to ensure that other support needs of individuals that are not being met can be addressed appropriately.
The service is now available to vulnerable families with children under the age 5 living in the property. If the family is in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits, the service is free (see terms and conditions) but is also available at low-cost to vulnerable families not in receipt of these benefits.
The key objectives of the service are to:
- Prevent and reduce the number of home accidents by making homes as safe as possible
- Identify current or likely support needs and making appropriate referrals
- Enable people to remain in their homes for as long as possible consequently reducing/preventing the need for expensive care packages or residential care later in life. Improve quality of life
- Promote independence, safety and wellbeing
- Ensure contact with other appropriate service providers
HP+ undertakes minor repairs, maintenance and adaptations that would not normally be eligible for financial assistance from the City Council or other providers. The service is available to residents living within the Southampton local authority boundary.
To contact HP+ telephone: 0800 085 4802
Monday – Thursday 9am-5pm; Friday 9am-4.30pm
Answering Service available outside of these hours
- People over 60 (key priority group)
- Vulnerable households with children under 5 in receipt of one of the eligible benefits
- Disabled people
- People awaiting hospital discharge needing minor work to enable them to return home
- Other individuals receiving care or Supporting People services or defined as vulnerable by the local authority
- Income Support
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Housing Benefit
Owner-occupiers in Private Sector Housing that is either Owned by them or Owned by a relative.
Tenants in Private Sector Housing that is:
Rented privately (Tenants of the local authority or a Registered Social Landlord are not normally eligible for the service except where the specific work would not be the responsibility of the landlord – please telephone for further information)
For People living in Sheltered Housing Schemes the Service is:
- Limit of 2 calls a year, starting from date of first call (this can be waived due to an emergency or by Police request or at the discretion of the Project Manager);
- The initial assessment is the first 15 minutes of each visit and is free for everyone;
- A maximum of 2 hours labour, in addition to the assessment period, is provided free of charge if you are in receipt of an eligible benefit;
- Up to £30 materials @ cost price provided if you are in receipt of an eligible benefit;
If you are not in receipt of one of the eligible benefits you may still be able to access the service at low-cost. You will pay £10 per hour for the labour and the cost of any materials provided – please telephone the service for further information.
Securing internal & external doors, Fitting grab rails and stair rails, Fitting key safes, Draught proofing, Installing/fitting batteries in smoke alarms, Changing light bulbs, replacing plugs, Bleeding radiators, Re-pressuring boilers, Fixing trip hazards (e.g loose tiles, carpets etc), Minor guttering repairs/clearance, Minor plumbing repairs – tap washers, replacing taps, leaky pipes, Improving security by fitting window locks, spyholes, door chain.
HP+ now offers some garden work to improve safety and security and is offered on a one-off basis only – we do not provide a regular garden maintenance service. Please telephone for further information.
The service does not provide the following:
Major electrical, Gas / Boiler, Major plumbing, Window/door installation